|Pic.1, from: http://www.wga.hu/support/viewer/z.html|
I applied stitches: couching, satin, split and chain.
|Pic.2: My interpretation of the illumination, photo by Bartosz Kolata|
But when I had the face done the way I wanted, I found it very rewarding and motivating! There is this strange feeling of presence, like you embroidered a company of somebody to be with you for the rest of your work on the piece!
|Pic.3: Sad face and funny hat! Photo by Bartosz Kolata|
The next step was embroidering the Gardener's tools and his tunic. Very time consuming process, as I used split stitch for it (splitting a single thread from the skein of cotton floss). What is great about this technique: if you consequently lay down the split stitch in the same direction in part of the tunic, it plays nicely with light, giving your work a subtle 3D effect)
|Pic.3: Combining different directions of split stitch in parts of the tunic, photo by Bartosz Kolata|
I decided to embroider the inner frame in cotton mat golden thread, in couching stitch, with a silver inner line in chain stitch. I chose different colours for outer frame than in original illumination: I wanted a better colour correspondence with the background and other threads I had used.
What is very important: the metallic thread should be incorporated as the last one, otherwise it gives you a lot of grief when you try to work around it with cotton and silk thread.
The last thing was applying the beads in the background, for starry night sky. I used German silver beads and red coral beads, with single stitches in silver thread for gleams.
|Pic.5: The stars and planets embroidered in beads and silver thread, photo by Bartosz Kolata|
The piece has found the best home: it is now in rural France, in the house of my very good Friends. The best place for it: Beth and Steve are both Gardeners!